Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Meeting in the Details

You know, I love when God meets us in small ways. Yesterday, I was doing pretty well until I had to spend an hour on my feet shopping for our Music & Arts Camp AFTER I had already worked a 10-1/2 hour day (mostly on my feet). My knees were killing me (old injury) and I was just hobbling around these stores trying to find what I needed, and in the absence of finding it, trying to improvise.

I ended up at Wal-Mart, and since I went in to just get a couple of things, I didn't grab a cart (known as a 'buggy' in the South). By the time I had looped most of the store, my arms were literally full, and my knee ached so much I wasn't walking to the door to get a cart. But I *NEEDED* a salad (I've eaten almost no vegetables/fruit for the past 4-5 days and my body is not happy for it! It's very unusual for me, but I've been so busy...)

So I'm standing in front of the lettuce bags and I literally turn to a stranger standing there and say, "I'm sorry, but could I ask a favor? I didn't get a basket when I came in. Could you put a bag of lettuce on top of my pile?" She takes one look at me and says, "Here, take mine," and gives me her (almost empty) basket and goes and gets another one for herself. By this point, I've worked 12 hours, and I hurt and I'm tired, and I was just so grateful and encouraged by this one woman's generosity, so freely given that she MUST have been a believer. There was no hesitancy at all. Or maybe she was an angel. :-) I just know that I was so blessed by her kindness.

He is beautiful, even in the little things... :-)

-J

(c) 2007

No comments: