Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Food, 'Drugs', & 'Rock-n-Roll'

I'm not feeling my best. Mostly it's because I've got a muscle or a nerve in my shoulder that is being exceedingly temperamental...and painful. I've been living on Advil & Tylenol & the heating pad for the past several days. This morning, I felt slightly better, but seem to have lost some feeling in three of my fingers. My body is SO weird.

And then, I waited too long to eat my 'second breakfast' this morning, and my blood sugars dropped and I felt doubly yucky.

But...it's amazing what a little food, some 'drugs', and a touch of music can do to restore a soul. The Tylenol eased my pain, lunch made my sugars stabilize, and then Billy Joel came on my radio singing The Longest Time. I forgot that I used to like Billy Joel, and that tune is so positive and catchy; it made me smile.

And now, I am pain-reduced (not exactly pain-free, but better), full, and happy. That's nice.

But it is only temporary. I will again need to eat. And I know I'm gonna need more 'drugs.' And music, well music is eternal--though God may not choose Billy Joel for us in heaven--but until I reach eternity, I will always be looking for new music to listen to.

And you know, it just made me long even more for that eternal, glorified body we will receive and that most glorious home waiting for us.

I am so grateful God has provided for my temporary needs. But I am MORE grateful that my future holds permanent answers to my permanent needs. Our Hope is so much more than 'fire insurance.' What a generous God we serve!

Now, going back to work while the pain meds are still working,
-J

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. --I Peter 1:3-7, NIV

(c) 2009

1 comment:

t said...

Ever wonder what it'll be like to run and jump and work and not feel sore? I don't mean the aches and pains we DO think about losing, but the ones we DON'T think about because they're so normal (e.g., sore muscles after working out or working hard - we kinda like those but I don't think that existed pre-Fall).

I could give other, better examples but it regularly strikes me as bizarre the things we WON'T think about that are a result of sin but seem normal to us. So normal we don't think about it not happening.

Not expressing well but just a thought. I figure I may not hit my 10 minute "I-don't-want-to-do-this-run" mark. No sore muscles :) . And I'll be running for kicks only :) .